quinta-feira, 30 de julho de 2009

Man, I feel like a woman

by Patrick Williams | 30th July 2009














Former world surfing champion Peter Drouyn always knew he was a woman trapped in a man's body.
So the Tweed Heads resident underwent a sex change to free herself.

Now, Westerly Windina is the Tweed's newest lawyer looking to bring glamour back to the courts with her own local firm.

“When I was born my mother and the doctor always saw a girl,” Ms Windina said.

“And when I was a child I always felt different.

“I just had this 'thing' between my legs. I felt trapped.

“That man (Drouyn) is gone now.”

In her former life as Mr Drouyn, Ms Windina was a Gold Coast surfing legend.

She achieved fame and glory as world surfing number one in 1970 amongst numerous other titles spanning a 20-year career and was inducted into the Gold Coast Sporting Hall of Fame in 1999.

Ms Windina, formerly of Surfers Paradise, said her male hormones were drained from her body and replaced with female ones over eight years.

“As a woman I feel like I have different objectives, not violence, not physical aggression,” she said.

“I have a new lease on life.

“As a child I always felt as if I was different. I didn't act like a boy.”

Having given up the board shorts for the bikini, Ms Windina spent the past five years working on obtaining her solo law practitioner's license.

She recently established Express Law in Tweed Heads and is looking to represent local people with cases regarding discrimination, disability and the elderly.

“But most importantly I want to represent people who are innocent,” Ms Windina said.

“I want to help people in need who can't afford legal help and have difficulty with legal aid.”

The independent lawyer said her representation is free to an extent.

“The money is not the most important thing to me,” she said.“I'm about peace towards justice.”

Promoting a virtuous nature and humility as her main elements, Ms Windina said she also hopes to become Australia's first transsexual judge.

“As an innovative judge I would look at the circumstances of the case plus the emotional elements of everyone involved, not just the victim,” she said.

“I would be a creative judge, who looks broadly at all perspectives.

“I believe it has all been lost in the system recently. I would look for justice, fairness and equity.”

Ms Windina said she would bring motivation back and would look into the emotions of those before the court.

“These days the judges are too fast to rubber stamp a case just so they can get out and go fishing,” she said.

“People are being placed in these bins and pens and not being allowed out.”

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário