sexta-feira, 13 de novembro de 2009

Asked and Answered | Miss J of ‘Top Model’


By CATOR SPARKS

Courtesy of Miss J

The divine Miss J. Alexander.
J. Alexander, better known as Miss J on “America’s Next Top Model,” is a well-loved figure. We were in Savannah, Ga., together a few months ago for the SCAD graduation fashion show, and when we sat down at a quaint little ice cream parlor at least 10 people came up to our table, fumbling for cellphones to get a picture with the modeling coach diva. (He does not allow pictures taken with phones, only with cameras, thank you.) With the debut of his first book, “Follow the Model,” we are sure all those fans will be eager to learn a bit more about the man who modeled in drag in Japan, loves cake and hates the word “fierce.”


Q.I saw you on 14th Street the other day and called out, “Miss J!” and you sashayed away. Are you over people calling your name?

A.If you yell my name, I may keep on walking! Because if I stop and look for who is calling me I may see someone hanging out a car window asking to be on the show. Sorry, I was probably just in my zone and running my errands.

What is your opposition to using the word “fierce”?

“Fierce” can be fiercely miss-used! And Christian Siriano took it as his and now it’s associated with him. “Fierce” has been used for years in the gay community and not in the same context as Christian is using it. That’s my little white sister’s word, so let’s move on.

I know you have never dabbled in drinks or drugs. Why?

Because I was too damn poor to buy them! I’ve not even sniffed a glue bottle or crushed up a thing. I wish I could think the same way about sugar. I love a good cake. But I do get high over an amazing ball gown.

You grew up with some tough love in your family. Do you apply the same tough love to the models you work with?

Yes I do! We don’t know everything, even if some of these models think they do. I will never forget when I was at a fitting at Frank Sorbier’s and I was telling the seamstress Madame Jacqueline that I was embarrassed I didn’t know something. She looked up at me from the floor, where she was hemming my gown, and said, “You are not here to know, you are here to learn.” She read me!

You had a comp card at Elite that had a shot of you as a man on one side and in drag on the other. Do you think that would be possible for a male model these days?

I think it would be a full-on tranny who lives her life that way. I never wanted to be a woman, but the Japanese loved my drag look. When I was out at the clubs in New York, Monique Pilar from Elite saw me and suggested I go to Japan. Boom! I was there and the Japanese ate it up.

What is one of your favorite fashion moments?

I would have to say one of the top faves was when I was working for Lars Nilsson at Bill Blass and André Leon Talley came over to the studio with Elizabeth Taylor’s epic movie “Boom!” which Karl Lagerfeld did the costuming for. We got down on some fried chicken, corn bread and popcorn shrimp and were in fits of hysterics well into the night. We went from working with models who don’t eat all day to watching all of us get down on some soul food!

But I have so many highlights. From working with Alexander McQueen on a fashion show to working with Galliano on makeup or just spending time with two of my oldest friends, Marc Jacobs and Robert Duffy. It’s hard to narrow it down.

You mention in the book that writers and producers wanted you to say things like, “Oooh child, girl! Nuh-uh, honey child!” and your response was, “I. AM. NOT. THAT. GIRL.” Explain.

I’m not that gay boy. I don’t scream, “Chiiiiilde!” You can’t script me to act like that. I don’t speak like that. I don’t pop my fingers or screech. For me, I figured the person who was writing this must be straight because he had no idea about who I am. Because of my background I like to give constructive criticism and help make something work, not belt out, “Gurl, you look like a cow!”

What advice do you have for the young Miss J’s out there?

Do your thing! Don’t stop. Don’t put time on it. Keep doing what you’re doing. Sometimes you are more advanced than they are and they just have to catch up. Sticks and stones may break your bones, but fabulous gets you most places!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário